Update from the weekend- Wednesday 8th October. By Terry and Ian.

Firstly news on the return of D9526 to the WSR!

Having had a sucessful 14s@50 on the East Lancs 9526 crew were asked to stay on a help out on
the East Lancs Autumn Diesel Gala.
Having run to their program Saturday and on Sunday, which we finished midday,we ran 9526 down to
the pick up point at Bury, Baron Street Depot.
Over Sunday night 9526 was transported back to West Somerset Railway and run off the transport at
Bishops Lydeard, a few hours late on arrival due to Motorway closures, but after a quick check over
she was driven back to the Williton depot and parked in the yard safe and sound after her two and
half months trip "up North".

Ian updates on the work taking place on D6566 at the moment   

Due to resource issues, the engine rebuild has taken longer than was hoped and it is now likely that
only the cylinder liners will have been installed before the loco departs for the bodywork overhaul at
Cranmore in early November.
Five out of the eight liners have been installed to date and have put up varying amounts of resistance!

The nylon fret rings are a common source of difficulty when performing this exercise as they can bind
up thus making the liner very stiff to press in.

These have also proved to be troublesome on D6566, considerable effort being required on
occasions, but so far we haven’t been defeated!

Thanks to Dave L, Gordon, John Cooke, Martin F, Cameron and Leroy who have assisted with the
installation at WN and to Kev Cook, Mike Jacob, Pete Burrow and James Cox who have provided
advice from afar. Mark kindly made a tool to help with the liners.

A method using thick expanded PTFE (similar to Goretex) has been used to seal the top liner
landings. This method was originally developed at Eastleigh Depot and as well as simplifying the
process resulted in a more durable seal than the original method that had been used by BR depots
and workshops for years.
From my enquiries, it is apparent that with some minor variations the thick PTFE Eastleigh method is
now widely used by owners of Sulzer locomotives both in the preservation and main line scenarios
with great success. However, contrary to my earlier predictions cracking has been discovered in the
bottom of the engine sump, so I have had to eat some humble pie on that one!

The sump was filled with heating oil which due to being very thin should find any leaks and did not
disappoint. Two cracks have been identified in roughly the middle of the sump, a large hole in the
bedplate tank having been cut to gain access. The sump is incredibly thin, fabricated from 16 swg
(approx 1.6mm) steel.

As the repair will be quite tricky a specialist welding company is being employed to undertake the work
and it is hoped that this will be performed in the next couple of weeks.     

Photos below from Terry showing D9526 at the lancs and being loaded for its journey home