Class 14 'Teddy Bear' Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive
No D9526
Livery-Green
Built by BR at Swindon in 964
First allocated Depot was 82A Bristol Bath Road
Withdrawn in November 1968
D9526 Class 14


Technical Specification
Engine: Paxman 6YJXL V6 turbocharged 26 litre diesel
Transmission: Voith L217 3-speed hydraulic
Weight: 48 Tons
Length: 34 ft
Output: 650 hp at 1500 rpm
BR Power Rating: Type 1
Speed: 40mph
Fuel Capacity: 300 gallons
Wheels: 0-6-0

History
Manufacturer: BR Swindon
Class: Class 14
Introduced 1964
Number Built 56
Role: Branch line shunter

D9526 was one of 56 locos in this class built at Swindon Works in 1964-5. Intended for pick-up and
branch line freights, they were made redundant almost immediately by closure of many secondary lines
in the late 60's. Almost the entire fleet were sold of for use in industry, 23 going to Stewarts and Lloyds
huge iron ore mines railway system around Corby, and 19 going to the NCB's North East Area. D9526
was sold to Blue Circle Cement at Westbury, where it worked until suffering serious engine problems in
1977. It was donated to the Group by BCC and moved to Williton in 1980. After repairs and restoration
work, D9526 made it's preservation debut in 1984, working for a further ten years. At the end of the 1994
season it was taken out of service with turbo and oil pressure problems. It re-entered service in April 03


Information supplied by Colin Girle
Some more archive shots of the loco
by Simon Purvis and Terry Deacon.
CLICK HERE FOR A FULL HISTORY OF D9526
PROVIDED BY SIMON PURVIS.