Update 12/12/17        By Simon Purvis, Terry Deacon and Ian Robins.

On Saturday 9th December we had our annual Christmas meal at the Masons Arms in Williton, pictured below.

Below Simon has provided an in depth report and update on Class 14's D9526 and D9518, Terry has sent
photos.
Below that Ian provides us with Class 33 update for the last couple of weekends.


D9526 Update
Engine No 65005/6 was unintentionally started and found to be running on 'A' bank only.  Various problems
were suggested as to the cause and each needed to be proved.  In the end, as we had a second overhauled
spare injection pump, the errant pump and the spare were taken to be tested by Dave Hartley at the NVR on
the 18th November.  The spare was proven as good, and workable.

Whilst at the NVR, Colin, Terry and Simon attended the annual Class 14 owners group meeting.  There were
representatives from D 9504, D 9513, D 9516, D 9520, D 9521, D 9523, D 9529, and D 9555.  Various topics
were discussed, as well as on going maintenance issues of the class.

The following weekend, the tested pump was fitted and the engine started, this time with a bit more success.
Further testing during the week produced 6 beats to the bar.

Ongoing with the engine trials has been a bit of an issue with the new generator which, although going round,
didn't produce an output and therefore the compressor would not run normally.  It turned out the generator
requires a 'flash' to the field coils to rejuvenate the magnetism in them and this appears to have done the trick.

An overhauled governor was also fitted to this engine, as the one that came with the engine from Scotland was
for the Diesel Electric Class 74 and not compatible with the locomotive.   This overhauled governor was also not
playing, and meant that the engine speed was manually controlled.
On 09/12/17, the governor was encouraged to take control of the engine rpm and by the end of play on
Saturday, the engine has settled down to a gentle 670 RPM.  This is a little higher than the 'book' value but as
there is a lot of other checks also to be made, at least the engine can be left to idle on it's own.

D9518 Update
Dave Hammond has been concerning himself with the replacement of the sound deadening trays under the cab
floor  These are sheet steel trays that hold glass fibre insulation to reduce road and gearbox noise and heat
coming up through the cab floor. ( Having ridden on locomotives where this has not been replaced - it is very
noticeable!)  As might be expected the originals were in a very poor condition. Dave has carefully sorted and
measured the originals and has formed replacements.
I think Dave has found his calling, in sheet metalwork.

Warren, Mike and Phil (from Yeovil) have started taking down the brake rigging and pull rods to allow easy
access to the wheel-sets. There is just the rear set of hangers remaining to drop.  Then all the parts need a
good clean and looking at, prior to straightening, re pinning and bushing. Still lots to do before she can be lifted.



D6566 Update 9/12
As a prelude to putting in the antifreeze, Andy and Leroy took the end fittings off of the engine oil heat
exchanger and cleaned the tubes through. This is to ensure that any  debris that may have become dislodged
from around the cooling system following four years out of use was not blocking the tubes and causing high
water pressure as had previously been experienced on D6575. Later Andy and Will managed to prop the failed
exhauster clear of the mounting studs, a further step forward in it’s removal.

2/12
John Cooke had filled the cooling system before I got there on Saturday to help speed things up.
Then once Will, Andy and John L were available the engine was started and run with the rocker covers off for
about one hour.
It looks like the blows around the heads have been cured by re-torquing of the nuts which is obviously a relief!
Also confirmed there are no fuel leaks and that the tappets have been correctly set, all confirmed as ok.
In the afternoon Will and I replaced the leaking exhaust side crankcase door seal by taking the door off and
fitting a new seal that we have had in stock for a while.
While we were doing that Andy and John had a look at the removal process for the failed exhauster to remind
ourselves how difficult it will be!  The coolant was then drained again later in the afternoon. So basically as far
as the engine is concerned we now need to put in the antifreeze and change the oil.


D6575 Update 9/12 – The loco has been returned to Williton to allow further winter maintenance to be
performed between usage.
Leroy emptied the bedplate drain tank of waste oil and the antifreeze concentration was tested.  Good down to
-23°C, should be sufficient for UK operation!