A bumper upload for the last couple of weekends thanks to Jon Tooke and Ian Robins.


10th May

D1010 – Neil and Julien continue to explore the electrical mysteries of the loco.
So many unrecorded modifications have been implemented over the years that we are
thinking of renaming it “Spaghetti Western”!
The Brake Control Panel is a particular case in point.
But both replacement exhausters and the new compressor were working satisfactorily by the
end of the day, smoking the shed out in the process!
Gordon and Leroy have smartened up the paintwork using T-cut.
The loco went out on a test run on the Sunday paired with D821.

D1661 – The loco currently has a vacuum brake only restriction due to a problem with the
pressure reducing valve that feeds the external main reservoir air pipe.
This has been traced to a split diaphragm in the valve and a replacement is being sought.  

D6566 – I have started to clean and degrease the engine block beginning with the top face.
Half of the area was dealt with on Saturday and given a protective coat of aluminium paint.
All visible areas of the block will be painted Rail Grey.

D6575 – The loco worked the first Diesel Driver Experience Course of the year on Saturday.
Drivers John Cooke and Mike Harris were in charge of four participants consisting of a father
and his three sons.
It was reported that the low power problem of the previous week seems to have been cleared
following cleaning of the Pressure Charge Protection pipe.

Leroy is pictured sporting some newly designed Locomotive T-Shirts which will be on
sale at the Mixed Traffic Weekend



Further update from the 3rd thanks to Ian

D6575 – The loco was called upon to work the 15:15 MD to BL on Saturday following the
failure of GWR 2-8-0 no. 3850.
Driver Paul T and secondman Terry were despatched to Minehead to crew the Crompton
which was stabled there and I arranged to join them on arrival at Williton to have a look
around it.
The train duly arrived at WN and Paul immediately advised me of a low power situation.
So on the climb to Crowcombe I monitored the Regulating Air Gauge and the response of the
governor.
I noted that despite a full power demand of 50 psi being shown on the gauge the fuel rack was
only being opened to about 4 on a scale of 0 to 10, the Generator Load Regulator was at
minimum and only around 2 psi of Charging Air was being produced by the turbocharger.
Not a good situation!
However, when I manually opened the Fuel rack to near full I found that the engine revs
responded, the Load Regulator came around and the Turbo could be heard spinning up.
Interestingly, it was possible by “feel” to determine where the fuel rack needed to be and only
slight pressure was required to stabilise it but as soon as I let it go it would slowly return to the
4 position.
But at least this eliminated a fuel starvation or similar problem and instead indicated a
Pressure Charge Protection (PCP) issue.
PCP is a feature of Sulzer Engine Governors whereby until Charging Air from the Turbo is
detected the Fuel Rack is stopped from opening beyond a certain point to prevent over-
fuelling in the event of Turbocharger failure or before it has spooled up sufficiently.
A flexible pipe is provided between the Inlet Manifold and Governor for this purpose.
In this case the Turbo was clearly working so on arrival at BL I disconnected the pipe from the
manifold and found the fitting completely blocked with a solidified mixture of carbon and oil.
So that was the problem and a similar problem had manifested itself during initial test running
of the loco two years ago.
I managed to clear the fitting and reconnected the pipe to the manifold but could not tell at this
stage whether the pipe itself was also blocked.
So on the return journey to WN in the company of D821 and D7017, it was arranged that the
Crompton would provide power on its own during part of the climb up the bank.
However, it was apparent that the problem was still extant so on arrival back on shed I
removed the pipe from the loco.
Although the blockage was quite stubborn, with a bit of poking, a squirt of fluid in the Wash
Tank and then a Compressed Air Line it finally relented!
Hopefully the loco will perform satisfactorily when next used but this is now an issue that will
need to be regularly monitored.  


Update from the weekend of the 2nd/3rd thanks to Jon Tooke

In readiness for the forthcoming gala D7017 and visiting D821 were taken to BL for an
underframe examination and a general all 'round clean grease and adjust of all the parts one
does not normally see.
Bob C assumed the role of team leader for this exercise and he was in charge of overseeing
the completion of the locos underframe examination, adjustments and greasing/lubrication.
A team of eight DEPG members made up from Martin+Simon H, Mike H, Graham P,
JT, Big Darren, Cameron, and Leroy F were formed into two teams and set
about the task ahead of them.
Luckily, despite the local weather forecast, the conditions stayed sunny and
fine,  and the team managed to get both locos done in the day by putting one
over each pit.
While so many of the group were employed on these tasks meant that when the
call arrived at WN for the Thunderbird loco to be launched to rescue a
failed WSR steam service we had to look no further than Paul T and Terry to
fire up the Crompton and resume the working diagram.

When we had finished the two hydraulics were coupled together with the
Crompton which by now had finished its earlier Thunderbird duties attached
to the rear, we set off back in convoy to WN.
The run to and from BL was used a test for the Warship just to check that
all was working as it should.
Upon arrival back at DEPG WN, all was reported to be successful with the
locos and they were put back into the South Yard after a minor amount of
shunting.

Bumper set of photos from the last couple of weekends including the underframe examinations
at Bishops Lydeard and the Class 33 DDEC.