|Built by British Railways Crewe Works and numbered D1661
|Entered service at Swansea Landore depot (87E). Livery standard two-tone green with small yellow panels. Three-piece fixed radiator grilles. Dual braked (Air and Vacuum) from new.
|Named ‘NORTH STAR’ by Ray Gunter, Minister of Labour at Paddington Station, London. This name was first carried by a Sir Daniel Gooch designed Great Western 2-2-2 Seven Foot Single steam engine built by Robert Stephenson in 1866. Then the name was carried by the first Churchward Great Western ‘Star’ class 4-6-0 locomotive no. 4000 built at Swindon in 1907
|Fixed radiator grilles upgraded to Serck hydrostatic shutter assemblies
|Full yellow ends applied
|Renumbered to 47077 under the TOPS system, sub class 47/0 as a boiler fitted (steam heat), dual braked locomotive.
|Allocated to Old Oak Common, London.
|Repainted into non-standard British Rail blue with full yellow ends. No logo applied.
|Dual AWS (WR and BR system) removed
|Allocated to Cardiff Canton depot (CF). BR arrow logos applied.
|Boiler no longer functional (isolated).
|Major works overhaul, boiler removed and a train heating auxiliary generator (ETH) fitted. Renumbered as a result to 47613, sub class 47/4 as an ETH locomotive. Repainted into Mainline blue
|Allocated to Old Oak Common, London
|Repainted at Old Oak Common into original Inter-City livery.
|Allocated to Bristol Bath Road
|Allocated to Crewe Diesel Depot after another major overhaul receiving cab and body improvements and renumbered to 47840 sub class 47/8 as an Inter-City Fleet locomotive.
|Repainted at Old Oak Common into new Inter-City livery.
|Vacuum brake equipment was isolated as no longer required.
|Allocated to Bristol Bath Road and repainted into full Inter-City ‘Swallow’ livery
|Allocated to Crewe Diesel depot and ownership passing to Porterbrook Leasing on the privatisation of British Rail. Leased by Virgin Trains Cross Country and repainted into Virgin livery.
|Repainted into ‘heritage’ British Rail corporate blue livery with red-backed nameplates.
|Hauled the last Cross-Country loco hauled train, the 08:46 1M56 Penzance to Manchester. Allocated to Willesden Electric Depot as a standby locomotive. Leased to GBRf and allocated to Old Oak Common, London now operated by First Great Western (FGW).
|Entered Brush Traction, Loughborough Works for engine repairs and refitting of vacuum brake equipment, as preservation was being arranged.
|Ownership transferred from Porterbrook Leasing to The Diesel & Electric Preservation Group Limited.
|Emerged from Brush Traction, Loughborough Works, repainted into two tone green livery with small yellow panels. Functional headcode panel reinstated.
|Class 47/8 D1661 / 47 840 ‘NORTH STAR’ arrived on the West Somerset Railway at the head of Heartland Rail Charter from Derby.
|Allocated to Williton Diesel Depot.
|Loco taken out of service for bodywork and roof repairs that were performed in Summer 2019 by Mark Stanley.
|Emerged from WSR Restorations ‘Swindon Shed’ at Williton in BR-blue livery with logo and CF depot sticker, replicating the livery of the late 1970s. Loco entered the DEPG loco shed at Williton to undergo additional repairs and restoration.
|Refurbished Serck hydrostatic radiator shutter assemblies were re-installed on the loco at Williton.
|Emerged from the DEPG loco shed complete at Williton, ready for Vehicle Inspection and Brake Test (VIBT).
|Loco moved from Williton to Bishops Lydeard under her own power, the first such movement since October 2018.
|Loco departed Bishops Lydeard for the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) via Allelys Heavy Haulage road transportation. the loco will be on hire to the NYMR for a period of two years.
|Loco was unloaded at New Bridge on the NYMR.
|Loco was towed to Grosmont by 37264 so that some overhaul tasks can be completed. The loco will then enter service as a ‘Thunderbird’ loco and will also be used for crew training in advance of regular rostering.
|Loco entered regular service on the NYMR !